This is a site for speakers (and students) of the international language Esperanto at the University of Rochester, in Rochester, New York, USA.
Here you can learn about Esperanto itself, Esperanto at UR, our beginners’ course, and our conversation groups.
We post occasional updates to a Facebook page and a mailing list.
(2022-12-15) New items in the library:
- Aventuroj de Alico en Mirlando, La, by Lewis Carroll. Translated from English by D. Broadribb. A newly revised, full-color edition of Broadribb’s translation.
- Domo ĉe Pu-Angulo, La, by A.A. Milne. A new translation from English by Edmund Grimley Evans of The House at Pooh Corner.
- Ardes, An original science fiction novel by Boris Tokarev.
- Peter Jameson’s Secret Language, A newly revised edition of the English-language story by Sylvan Zaft, about a group of 5th-graders who decide to use Esperanto as a secret language at their school … under the nose of an overly-controlling principal. Also available in a PDF version.
(2021-09-22) New print items in the library:
- Memoru ĉi praulojn, by Humphrey Tonkin. Essays about Esperanto literature.
- La vojo returne, a translation of Erich Maria Remarque’s Der Weg zurück, his sequel to the novel known in English as All Quiet on The Western Front.
- Pri lingvo kaj aliaj artoj, a collection of essays by William Auld.
- La danĝera lingvo, a scholarly study of the persecutions faced by early speakers of Esperanto in Germany, Russia, and east Asia.
(2021-09-18) New print items in the library:
- Beletra Almanako 38, Beletra Almanako 40, and Beletra Almanako 41, issues of a literary magazine with translated and original prose and poetry along with articles and reviews.
- Okuloj, the second edition of a collection of short stories by Marjorie Boulton. Okuloj is one of the essential readings listed in William Auld’s Baza Legolisto.
(2021-03-17) New ebooks in the library:
- 33 Rakontoj: La Esperanta novelarto, A classic anthology of original short stories.
- Baza literatura krestomatio, An anthology of original works in chronological order, with biographical notes.
- Samideanoj, Satirical stories about Esperanto and Esperantists.
(2021-03-14) New print items in the library:
- La sekreta miraklo, a collection of Jorge Luis Borges’s stories translated from Spanish, and
- Kiuj semas plorante…, an original novel set in 1930s Austria.